ReaderOz's Reviews > A Taste of Texas

A Taste of Texas by Liz Talley

U_50x66
May 18, 11

Good premise, tedious execution

This is a good story. Good premise, good characters. However, it was too slow for me. Superromances can be great or mediocre, and by halfway through A Taste of Texas, I was bored. We spent too much time inside the hero's and heroine’s heads while they rehashed thoughts about where their lives were – or weren’t – heading. There was more introspection than plot.

There’s a lot of potential with this book: as a teenager the heroine’s heart was broken by the hero. She considered them to be a couple. He did not, and had sex with the head cheerleader on prom night instead of turning up as the heroine’s date.
The problem was that nothing much was made of this, and instead we had an endless series of scenes where Rayne misunderstood Brent’s actions, and he didn’t bother to correct her.

It’s a difficult thing, creating a powerful Superromance, as the books are supposed to be about everyday situations. I believe there was more interesting material here that was left unused. Perhaps showing the heroine making compost, and showing the hero playing pool with minor characters, were not the most interesting things to focus on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Taste of Texas.