Myles's Reviews > Ultimate X-Men: Ultimate Vol. 5

Ultimate X-Men by Brian K. Vaughan

May 31, 14

bookshelves: sequential-art, ultimate-marvel, lgbt, superheroes
Read from May 18 to 22, 2011

Yeah!

Ultimate X-Men is what got me into the whole universe to begin with, and here again, is more confirmation of everything I love about it.

In the wake of the destructive attack on the capitol building, the death of Hank and the essential dissolution of the New X-Men, they must face Mr. Sinister, Fenris and Mojo. I'm a little disappointed that Arcade, probably my favorite wacky X-Men villain, gets only a small part but the overall treatment of Spiral and Longshot was excellent.

I've been reading these comics sporadically for a year or so now, but a friend at work surprised me a few weeks ago with a whole CRATE of trade paperbacks, hardcovers and individual issues that he says amount to the whole run of Ultimate comics up to Ultimatum. Holy crap, right? Being methodical I resisted the impulse to go straight to the X-Men and read these in some kind of order. Thank heaven for my fellow geeks who've channeled their obsessive interests into results like an exhaustive list of the reading order for Ultimate Comics. There have been a few odd moments where something reads like it should've come sooner, but overall the order makes sense.

So there's been a ton of build-up to my finally finishing up the fifth year of Ultimate X-Men. I love the references to the original comics, overt or sly, Storm's punk makeover for instance. But I love how they're developing the characters. Dazzler grows as a source of vitriolic comic relief, Rogue and Wolverine continue to reconcile their pasts with their present, and, of course, Colossus continues to be the gold standard for reshaping characters drastically and keeping true to their original state.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ultimate X-Men.

05/18/2011 page 1
05/18/2011 page 89
30.0% "I just get a taste before the reading list demands I go back to Spidey, oh well. Mr. Sinister was cool."
05/19/2011 page 113