Jill's Reviews > The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King by T.H. White

Sep 07, 14

bookshelves: classics, fantasy-sci-fi, brit-lit
Read from March 18 to 29, 2011

Curiously and somewhat painfully disjointed. I enjoyed the first 50 pages, then trudged through a few hundred, then started enjoying it again about page 400, then trudged a bit more, then drank up the last 60 pages. This one has a really bizarre writing style with the most random pages of tangent spliced in all over the place. It's without question one of the most rickety-reading books I've ever managed to get through. Despite this, there are golden nuggets of wisdom and quotable quotes sprinkled about, and these are worth the read. Another redeeming feature is how it illustrates that adultery is never a problem concerning only three people. The last few pages are very beautifully and profoundly written. Fantasy is really rough going for me, so take my negative comments with a very large grain of salt - maybe even a rock of it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Once and Future King.

Quotes Jill Liked

T.H. White
“The bravest people are the ones who don’t mind looking like cowards.”

T.H. White
“...All endeavours which are directed to a purely worldly end...contain within themselves the germs of their own corruption.”

T.H. White
“They made me see that the world was beautiful if you were beautiful, and that you couldn't get unless you gave. And you had to give without wanting to get.”