Bastard's Reviews > Honeyed Words

Honeyed Words by J.A. Pitts

Jul 29, 11

Read from July 27 to 29, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Honeyed Words.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

If I could be bothered, I'd be running around squealing with excitement. It comes out the same day as The Snow Queen's Shadow, though, so I'm torn about which book to read first.

Bastard I've only read the first book in the Princess series. So I'd go with Honeyed Words.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Tempting. Black Blade Blues blew me away, but at the same time closure on the Princess series means it'll be a series out of the way for me.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay! Go B! I have a proof copy of the cover signed and framed on my wall. You'll like it, in my opinion.

Bastard I'm enjoying it so far, but halfway through and it's been very slow developing, hopefully it'll pick up soon.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds similar to my own experience. It's not the fastest book out there, but I'll say no more until you've finished it.

P.S. Sarah is hawt.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hm. I'd like to see the proper review, but it does sound about right.

Bastard Well, you'll never see a proper review from me...

But I thought that the story lacked focus and a bit of sense of urgency and it suffered from it. Also it just seemed like most female characters were turning out to be at some level of lesbianism which I found odd and suddenly just about everything in the story had to have a sexual context. The final battle was a bit weird too. Still enjoyed the journey, but could have been much better I thought. Sarah should be more likable though this time around for those that were complaining about her previously.

I also would like to see her interacting more with male characters.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that's a fair criticism. The story did feel like it was setting up something rather than being the resolution (Unlike Black Blade Blues, which had a clear, but open, ending). I'll agree about the final fight, too, as it seemed to come out of, not so much nowhere, but it felt a bit shoehorned in. Pitts could have done something different and it would have worked a bit better.

I'm not sure about the lesbianism comment, but I can see where you're coming from with that. I would say that the lady doing the statue is more pansexual/bisexual, and that might go for the dragoness too, but I'm not too sure.

Pitts could have done a lot worse with it, though. I'm thankful he didn't.

Bastard That's why I used "some level" since I didn't want to go to the specifics of it. I don't know, it might just be us witnessing the world through the eyes of a lesbian.

And don't get me wrong, I love lesbianism in the stories, but when it makes me notice some sort of pattern then it pulls me out of the story momentarily.

I'm finding it the equivalent of a female protagonist suddenly being surrounded by hot guys, and every time a new male character is introduced he's hot and it makes her question her current relationship, etc.

Oh well, still looking forward to future releases. I also hope we get more clarity about the whole runes in her body, etc. because at the moment they're purely decorative and meaningless to me.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

They're not decorative as such, because I think they're actually where her power stems from (Like the runs on the sword). I think they're effectively spells, just written in runes.

I found it odd that Sarah remarked, rather frequently, how attractive men were, but didn't say too much about the attractiveness of (most) other women. At least she didn't get a weak stomach and start blushing and shivering with pleasure every two minutes.

I think we've got at least four more books to go. Well, one more is guaranteed at the very least. I'm not sure I'll stick around that long but I may do.

Have you tried Malinda Lo's books? Ash and Huntress have lesbian protags, but they're free from that "We're lesbians so everyone else must be" pattern you mentioned. They're firmly in the teen/YA realm of fiction, but I blazed through them (And you will too).

Bastard I have my eye on them, but they'll have to wait.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Fair enough, B. You should definitely check them out when you get the chance.