Jackson Radish's Reviews > The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset

The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne Collins

Aug 30, 11

bookshelves: teen, teen-dystopian
Read in August, 2011

So, of course, I keep wanting to compare this series to Harry Potter, which I loved. I will say, I loved The Hunger Games even more than Harry Potter. There was more moral ambiguity, better, more gritty character development, more dangerous in terms of plot and, well, everything, more defiant and more... I don't know. To put it in terms of the book, I would say that after reading this book, I felt less like a pawn in the game (is that cheesy to talk about it in these terms) while reading The Hunger Games trillogy than I did while reading Harry Potter. And that's not to dis Harry Potter at all because I loved it, there's just an element of this series that is a bit more real.

If you liked Harry Potter, though, I think you will find this series to be exciting. I know after Harry Potter, I found myself going through withdrawals because it was all over and I didn't have another series that compared. I think only series that were slightly better could really hold a candle to Harry Potter, and of course this is only 3 books long, so it's not as epic and not as much of a journey as reading Harry Potter, but I think it's better and I felt really emotionally effected by it. I felt the same way about His Dark Materials, but I even liked The Hunger Games better than that!

(more responses to the actual stories in my reviews of each book, btw)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben SO GOOD! A good readalike is also Uglies / Pretties. I loved the first two but didn't like Specials as much and didn't bother reading the last one. There is so much I could say about insider / outsider issues in that book.

Jackson Radish These look great and I'm totally sold on them. I have heard several people recommend them in the last few weeks. I wish I could just read them now. I will look up Uglies/Pretties