JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Dec 01, 2011

bookshelves: awwww-romance-is-bliss, own, buddy-read, favorite, favorite-series-or-trilogy, loaned-out, crushing-on-him, books-everyone-should-read, luv-the-covrrrrrr, read-in-2011, couldn-t-put-it-down, favorite-author, stand-alone
Recommended to JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) by: Buddy Read with Jennifer
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from October 24 to 25, 2011 — I own a copy

One Word: A MAZING!

“Once upon a time, there was a girl who talked to the moon. And she was mysterious and she was perfect, in that way that girls who talk to moons are. In the house next door, there lived a boy. And the boy watched the girl grow more and more perfect, more and more beautiful with each passing year. He watched her watch the moon. And he began to wonder if the moon would help him unravel the mystery of the beautiful girl. So the boy looked into the sky. But he couldn't concentrate on the moon. He was too distracted by the stars. And it didn't matter how many songs or poems had already been written about them, because whenever he thought about the girl, the stars shone brighter. As if she were the one keeping them illuminated.

One day, the boy had to move away. He couldn't bring the girl with him, so he brought the stars. When he'd look out his window at night, he would start with one. One star. And the boy would make a wish on it, and the wish would be her name.

At the sound of her name, a second star would appear. And then he'd wish her name again, and the stars would double into four. And four became eight, and eight became sixteen, and so on, in the greatest mathematical equation the universe had ever seen. And by the time an hour had passed, the sky would be filled with so many stars that it would wake the neighbors. People wondered who'd turned on the floodlights”.

”The boy did. By thinking about the girl.”

― Stephanie Perkins, Lola and the Boy Next Door

How in the world does anyone give a review or write their opinion on a book they absolutely crazy about.!!! I guess this is me giving my best try. This book was amazing!!! I loved every word flowing from each page from go till the very last word.

Lola and the Boy Next Door was and effortless read and grabbed my attention from the first page. The words and the story flowed so seamlessly I hadn’t realized how many pages I had read nor did I discover how early in the morning it was. I could have easily read this book in one sitting. However, I wanted to get some sleep so that I could be a half way descent employee at my job the next day.

What I loved most are the original characters. You have Lola and Cricket who are adorably quirky and fun combined with complexity. I couldn’t wait for each of Lola’s outfit changes. She was such a refreshing character to read about. Cricket is an inventor a real genius with this fun loving sweet side who would do anything for anyone. His huge smile and kind words melted my heart. Then there are Lola’s parents who I adore. It was nice the author thought outside the box. Her parents were a male gay couple. They are two very awesome parents and Lola is a very lucky girl. The secondary characters were every bit as interesting and of course having Anna and Etienne as part of this cast was a bonus. All of them were written so well and very witty dialogue flowed from several of the pages.

Cricket was definitely swoonworthy. His love for Lola was so very sweet and tender. They both danced to a beat of a different drum which I loved. They couldn’t be more perfect for one another. He is the ying to her yang. Although it takes some time for their relationship to come together they are absolutely adorable together.

I felt every emotion when reading this book. I laughed, I laughed so hard I disturbed everyone in my household. I cried big fat tears of happiness. I got the goosebumps at all of the appropriate places. I really felt like I was part of this book the entire time.

This is a book I will most certainly be reading again and again. In fact ever night when I go to read I have to stop myself from picking it up again. If you are considering this book you won’t be sorry, I promise. It is an incredible read.
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

Quotes JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Liked

Stephanie Perkins
“People should say what they mean and not make other people stumble around.”

Stephanie Perkins
“I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else.”

Stephanie Perkins
“I draw him closer by his tie and whisper into his ear, "Cricket Bell, I have been in love with you for my entire life.”

Stephanie Perkins
“No more moving. I'm here. I'm wherever you are.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Sometimes a mistake isn't a what. It's a who.”

Stephanie Perkins
“No, I don't love Max anymore. But I don't want to give you this broken, empty me. I want you to have me when I'm full, when I can give something back to you. I don't have much to give right now.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Perfect is overrated. Perfect is boring."
I smile. "You don't think I'm perfect?"
"No. You're delightfully screwy, and I wouldn't have you any other way.”

Stephanie Perkins

At the sound of her name, a second star would appear. And then he'd wish her name again, and the stars would double into four. And four became eight, and eight became sixteen, and so on, in the greatest mathematical equation the universe had ever seen. And by the time an hour had passed, the sky would be filled with so many stars that it would wake the neighbors. People wondered who'd turned on the floodlights.

The boy did. By thinking about the girl.”

Stephanie Perkins
“And if I'm the stars, Cricket Bell is entire galaxies.”

Stephanie Perkins
“And I hold my head high toward my big entrance, hand in hand with the boy who gave me the moon and the stars.”

Stephanie Perkins
“So do you believe in second chances?" I bite my lip.
"Second, third, fourth. Whatever it takes. However long it takes. If the person is right," he adds.
"If the person is... Lola?"
This time, he holds my gaze. "Only if the other person is Cricket.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Being with Anna is easy. She's the one."
The one. It stops my heart. I thought Max was the one, but... there's that other one.
The first one.
"Do you believe in that?" I ask quietly. "In one person for everyone?"
Something changes in St Clair's eyes. Maybe sadness. "I can't speak for anyone but myself," he says. "But, for me, yes. I have to be with Anna. But this is something you have to figure out on your own. I can't answer that for you, no one can."
"Oh."
"Lola." He rolls his chair over to my side. "I know things are shite right now. And in the name of friendship and full disclosure, I went through something similar last year. When I met Anna, I was with someone else. And it took a long time before I found the courage to do the hard thing. But you have to do the hard thing."
I swallow. "And what's the hard thing?"
"You have to be honest with yourself.”

Stephanie Perkins
“What...what about when I'm married?”
“We'll buy a cot. Your husband can sleep on that when he visits.”

Stephanie Perkins
“I slide my hand between our mouths, just in time. His lips
are soft against my palm. I slowly, slowly remove it. “No, I
don’t love Max anymore. But I don’t want to give you this
broken, empty me. I want you to have me when I’m full,
when I can give something back to you. I don’t have much to
give right now.”
Cricket’s limbs are still, but his chest is pounding hard
against my own. “But you’ll want me someday? That feeling
you once had for me … that hasn’t left either?”
Our hearts beat the same wild rhythm. They’re playing the
same song.
“It never left,” I say.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Lola?" Cricket is on his knees at the side of my bed. I feel it. "I'm here," he whispers. "You can talk to me or not talk to me, but I'm here.”

Stephanie Perkins
“There are some people in life that you can't get over.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Because that’s the thing about depression. When I feel it deeply, I don’t want to let it go. It becomes a comfort. I want to cloak myself under its heavy weight and breathe it into my lungs. I want to nurture it, grow it, cultivate it. It’s mine. I want to check out with it, drift asleep wrapped in its arms and not wake up for a long, long time.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Saw two fallen branches in the shape of a heart. Thought of you.”

Stephanie Perkins
“It doesn't matter how much fabric is between us, the solid strength of his body against mine is electric. Charged. And then our arms are enveloping and our fingers are digging and our mouths are searching and our bodies find this lock.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Everyone makes mistakes. The important thing is to not make the same mistake twice.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Life isn’t about what you get, it’s about what you DO with what you get.”
tags: life

10/24/2011 "This book is great!! Even better than Anna."
10/25/2011 "I adore this book!!!!!!!"

Anna Yay! How is this??

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko It is excellent. I can't put it down. I fear I am going to be up all night reading. It is that good an IMHO so much better than Anna and the French Kiss. Perkins has outdone herself in writing the most interesting protag.

Jenn So jealous! If I didn't have homework and I wasn't so worn out from my day and work out, I would totally be up all night with this too. Crud I just remember I have a field trip to be on in the morning early too..UGH! lol

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Jennifer you will catch up soon trust me.

message 5: by Jenn (last edited Oct 25, 2011 03:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn OMG! I'm in LOVE with this book!!!! I (heart) Cricket. I just have to say that I love Cricket even more at the end of the book. There are three places I love Cricket the best in this book and the last 2 chapters really do it for me. :o)And DANG IT!! (view spoiler)

Jennifer I read it all in one night! Way better than Anna! IMO

message 7: by Ariana (last edited Oct 26, 2011 08:27AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ariana Glad to hear that you liked it, Jo.. i bet you can't wait for 'Isla...' now ;))

Jennifer Yes I do want to see it all tied together. And I was very happy because I didn't like Anna so I almost didn't read this but I felt like this one was a lot better. She took out some of the overkill vicious cycle that was in the first one.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I couldn't agree more Jennifer. I loved it way better than Anna as well. I really did enjoy Anna though however there is something dynamic about this book.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko @Ari I am so ready for Isla. Have you read Lola yet? If you haven't it is a MUST READ!!!!

Ariana No, I didn't read it. It's on the 'top 5 books not to read just yet', that we made, LOL. Still no notification from the post office, though.

Anyways, I can't wait to read your review, so hurry up :D

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko @Ari you are too funny.. I don't give my best opinion when I really like something and I am in love with this book. I still have to finish my review for Silence. I will have it posted today and perhaps the Lola review tomorrow or Friday. All I have to say is that it is better than Anna and a MUST READ!!!! I hope you read it sooner than later. You will be sorry you waited. I adore Cricket. Perkins is a genius.

message 13: by Jenn (last edited Oct 26, 2011 10:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Cricket is SWOON worthy!! Every one needs a Cricket .. :o) ha! I still liked Anna's story a lot though. It still had a mean girl in it, Calliope, but at least she wasn't as vicious as the gals in Anna's story. I'm still a big fan of Anna's but I really liked this story a lot too. They had some of the same stuff but yet so completely different. I love Anna and Etienne still as well.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko @Jennifer. I know Anna was good I agree and you can't help but love Anna and Etienne. There is just something special about this book. There was never a dull moment and the characters are so colorful. No pun intended.

message 15: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn @ Jo- lol, colorful indeed ;) I really did enjoy both books. I liked how similar yet very different they were. Definitley both books will be read again by me. Now I'm curious about what Isla will be like.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko @Jennifer I am curious about Isla as well. I thought a book about Calliope would have been a good spin off. I guess we will have to wait and see. I am super excited regardless!! I have no idea how I am going to possibly write my review/opinion of this book. I can't even put together a descent sentence.

message 17: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Remind me who Isla is again? I can't remember, but I hope we see Cricket and Lola in that book too. I think Calliope would have been a good book too. Or the friend from Annas book, the artist who was a yr behind the others..

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I have no idea who Isla is.. I wonder if Arlene would know.. Arlene where in the world are you girl. I am guessing perhaps she is someone who might be working at the theater or perhaps at Berkley. That is the only way I think they could tie in all three of the couples. I am super duper excited about another book. I wish there was more of each of them though.

message 19: by Jenn (last edited Oct 26, 2011 04:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Yeah Arlene, WHERE ARE YOU!? :oP lol okay, I was in the Apple store today to fix my phone and I saw a worker there that could be the PERFECT Etienne!! OMG! lol He was way good looking. I'm going to look through Anna's book again and see if that name pops out at me.

message 20: by Jennifer (last edited Oct 26, 2011 04:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer Isla is from Anna and the French Kiss. She had red hair and was into Josh and stood up for Anna when Anna fought with Amanda. The book will take place when Anna, St. Clair, Lola, and Cricket go to the Olympics in Paris. I guess they will visit Isla.

message 21: by Jenn (last edited Oct 26, 2011 04:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Oh yes!! Thanks Jennifer. I had a feeling she was in that book as one of the friends. I just couldn't place her for the life of me. I want Josh to have a book. I loved him. Maybe some how he will appear back in Isla's book? But that's my wishful thinking. Ahhhh... you are very clever. Of COURSE it has to be Paris. Okay that gives me hope for Josh to appear. lol

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Both of u Jennifer's are genious. I didn't even remember Isla. Perhaps I need to go read Anna again. How do u know they will all go to Paris? Perhaps will we get even more of the two happy couples as well as Isla's store? Would be cool if it were allternating POV

message 23: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn OMG! I TOTALLY wanted a POV from Cricket the whole time I was reading Lola. I would love more of Cricket and Etienne. I really want to see more of Josh too. :o) Different POVs would be nice in the next story. I would love to know what the guys are thinking the whole time..not just the ladies. I love reading stories and getting both points of view.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Jennifer we are so on the same page. I too wish we could have Cricket's POV....

Is it horrible I can't remember Josh? I have no clue who he is nor do I remember Isla. I think I really do need to read Anna again. My bad.

Okay I have to ask if you laughed during a certain part of the book. Did you think it was funny when they talked about Cricket being and uncle. "Uncle Cricket". LMAO

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Maybe we should email the author and tell her our ideas. LOL

message 26: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Jo- I laughed a few times but the uncle Cricket thing was hilarious. I agree, we should email the author! Isla dated Josh. They didn't have a good relationship, or not a healthy one I should say. She was a senior and he was a junior. They were always all into each other at their table in the cafeteria.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Where they part of the group. There little circle? Isla was sorta stand offish with Anna but ended up giving her great advise about her bestie back in the states? Am i thinking of the right person? Wasn't Josh and artist? Always drawing?

Okay yes, lets email the author.. what could it hurt right. LOL

Uncle Cricket. Bahahahahahahahahaha

message 28: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Isla and Josh were part of their little circle. Josh is the artist always drawing. Isla stood up for Anna after the mean girl and bathroom incident and I believe she gave her advice on the bestie.

I'm all for emailing the auth! :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Now I know exactly who they are.. It took a moment. I bet the store about Isla is good. I always thought she was an interesting character as well as Josh. I can't wait!!! next year is too long!!!

I still can't come up with a descent review for this book. did you write one yet?

message 30: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn No not yet. I don't even know to describe what I feel about it. But I really loved it. Another yr is way Tooooooooooo Long!!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I don't know how to describe how I feel either. I am waiting for the write words to hit me or to have some sort of inspiration. Perhaps I will just write about how it makes me feel. I tend to not write reviews but more of what I think. I was actually thinking of putting a quote into my blurb.

message 32: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn I say write what you feel, that's only way I would know how to write this review. I would love quotes too.. Readings quotes in reviews also help me as a reader to decide if I want to read the book.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I started writing it.. don't know how good it is going to be. I used a quote the big long one.

Arlene Glad you loved it. :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Thanks Arlene. I loved this book. I actually liked it better than Anna. I still can't stop thinking about it.

Ronyell Awesome review JoJo!! I loved this book too!!!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Thank you!!

Ronyell JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) wrote: "Thank you!!"

You're welcome!!!