Rio (Lynne)'s Reviews > A Rose for the Crown

A Rose for the Crown by Anne Easter Smith

Jun 06, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, historical-romance
Read from May 18 to June 06, 2011

Historically, Richard III did have two known bastard children Katherine Plantagenet and John of Gloucester. Historians have questioned the fact that Kate Haute was their mother, but there is no official proof. This is where the author takes Kate and gives us a soap operish sweeping saga. This could be a made for TV movie. I enjoyed this, but I also took it with a grain of salt. Richard III is made into a saint, which was a little tongue in check for me. Overall this book covers a lot! If you are a sucker for romance, this novel has plenty of that and if you are interested in the War of Roses, this novel brings you a very one sided Ricardian view. There are many things we will never know: Who killed the Princes in the Tower? Who was behind making King Edward's marriage to Elizabeth illegal and did Richard really flaunt and love his niece Elizabeth? I won't lie, I couldn't put this one down. I always like to hear both sides of an argument and I looked forward to each page to see how the author would spin Richard's tales.
Why 4 stars, because I was simply entertained and carried this FAT book around in my hands for days.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rose for the Crown.

05/29/2011 page 305
06/01/2011 page 400
60.0% 12 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brittany B. You captured my feelings exactly. It was interesting, but I took it with a grain of salt.