Savanna's Reviews > The Demon's Lexicon

The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan

May 18, 11

bookshelves: ya
Read in February, 2010

With a long weekend and plenty of time to do homework, the end of the Doldrums is in sight. At the moment, however, I am still on the verge of sick-ish.

This means some quality bonding time with the couch.

Fortunately, Sarah Rees Brennan's The Demon's Lexicon has been keeping me company. The Demon's Lexicon came across my path by way of one of my roommates with one warning: "Out of all of the fantasy and SciFi I have read," she said, "this was the first book where the ending surprised me since I was maybe eleven." That's some pretty high praise.

But Rees Brennan's scenes aren't just surprising-- I loved her cinematic descriptions and perfect conversations. Some of the internal monologues can get a little repetitive, but this will all be explained. Trust her. In the meantime, enjoy the smooth action and the conversations that sound like excellent movie trailer clips, like the scene where a switchblade falls out of a cornflakes box and into a house guest's cereal bowl. Jaime, the guest, then promptly asks Nick, the main character, if there is a system-- "You know, switchblades in the cornflakes, guns in the raisin bran?"

But what about the true test of a book? How long did it take me to finish? A week (it would have been less if I didn't also have to read Ulysses for class).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon's Lexicon.