Jess the Romanceaholic's Reviews > The Taming of the Rake

The Taming of the Rake by Kasey Michaels

This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.com.

Expected Release Date: July 26, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: HQN
Author’s Website: http://www.kaseymichaels.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 1, Blackthorn Brothers
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Steamy

The illegitimate son of a marquess, Oliver was raised and educated far above his station. He lived with his father in his grand estate, received an education befitting the legal heir of a marquess, and was incredibly wealthy. Unfortunately, being brought up in such an accepting environment also left him quite naive. At age 22, he failed to see that society viewed him as a joke — a bastard son who would never truly be one of them. It was because of this naiveté that he failed to realize that his suit to the lovely Madelyn was only a prank on her part, culminating in his very painful, and very public, humiliation at the hands of her brother.

Barely more than a child at the time of that incident, Lady Chelsea is now in grave danger of being married off to the most horrible man she can imagine — Francis Flotley — a man who has not only conned his way into her brother’s life by claiming to be a spiritual leader, but one who very plainly hates women and will take great pleasure in breaking Chelsea, physically and mentally, once they are married. Given just a moment to formulate her escape, she runs to Oliver’s lodgings, knowing that if she can convince him to elope with her, that she will not only be able to escape her fate with Mr. Flotley, but that she can offer Oliver the one thing that tempts him the most: the ultimate revenge against her brother.

Overall, I quite enjoyed this one. I do adore a good revenge plot, and I loved that despite his disillusions he was much more of a gentleman than others in the story who actually carried the title. While the trip to Gretna Green seemed to take much longer than I’d have liked it, the pacing actually worked fairly nicely as it allowed Oliver and Chelsea to actually get to know one another before saying their vows.

Recommended for fans of sudden elopements, heroes on the outer rungs of society, revenge plots, and convoluted family arrangements. 4/5 Stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taming of the Rake.

Lisa Love your shelf...Jerry springer show in the making, lol! I got this to read as well, looking forward to it

Jess the Romanceaholic LOL Read it and you'll see what I mean -- it's in regards to the hero's side of the family :P