Rebecca's Reviews > Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year

Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott

May 18, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in May, 2011

Liked this one better than the first two. I'm starting to get the hang of Anne Lamott. If anyone had suggested that I read a book about a baby's first year, I would have said, "No, thanks." But I laughed out loud on the Metro, several times. Some of my favorite parts:

pages 84-85 on saying no to party invitations
page 85 "that beautiful old movie by Vittorio de Sica. A Brief Vacation
page 166 ". . . and I thought about how great a few hundred lines of cocaine would feel. I kept remembering that old joke about how when a normal person's car breaks down, she calls a tow truck; when an addict's care breaks down, she calls her dealer."
page 166 MFK Fisher story--". . . the cat knew exactly and intuitively what to do, knew that only time lying in the mud would heal her. . . . That's how I felt after my dad died."
page 173 the "older lesbian"'s question: "Do I want the hit or do I want the serenity?"
page 232 brother's huge report on birds, not even started, overwhelmed. Dad says: "Bird by bird, buddy: just take it bird by bird." Looking forward to reading that book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Operating Instructions.