Libby's Reviews > The Law of Angels

The Law of Angels by Cassandra Clark

May 18, 11

This was a serendipitous find for me. I love, love, love books set in Medieval England, and this one has a fascinating period and locale. The York Corpus Christi celebrations were famous all over England and the conflict of Lollards vs the "organized" Catholic Church, The Duke of Lancaster, the Crown, the rising merchant class and the bondsmen makes a wonderfully pungent mix as background for a mystery. Our heroine, Sister Hildegarde is caught up in a tide of violent happenings. Just after the arrival of two teenaged refugees, her little grange is attacked and destroyed by armed men. She and her teenaged protegees travel to York to notify the authorities and seek justice. While in York she and her friends face attempted kidnap, assault, theft of a priceless religious relic, fires and conspiracies of all sorts. All of this is set against a backdrop of a smelly, busy, vital medieval city, full of pilgrims, guildsmen, craftsmen and thugs. I could eat this like ice cream, yum, yum! I understand that this is part of a series, so I am on a mission to find the the rest of these books as of now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Law of Angels.