Molly's Reviews > Songs for a Teenage Nomad

Songs for a Teenage Nomad by Kim Culbertson

May 22, 2011

bookshelves: ya-lit, on-the-classroom-shelf, kindle, recommended, 4-and-a-half-stars, realistic-fiction
Read in May, 2011

I downloaded this novel on the recommendation of my best friend, who deemed it "YA lit that doesn't suck." As an English teacher, I am always on the lookout for such reading material! It lived up to her description without a doubt. It's refreshing to read about teens who, while intelligent, don't talk or act like miniature adults, which is a common theme these days (thank you, Gossip Girl!).

I liked Calle as a character, and her voice both in the journal excerpts and as narrator felt authentic. Like many of the books I've read recently, I had some issues with the ending. It seemed like the main "complication" (for lack of a better word that won't spoil anything!) was taken care of a little too neatly. And I was still left with some unanswered questions.

Overall, a great book to curl up with during a thunderstorm, and one I definitely plan on buying in paperback form to put on my shelves next year!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs for a Teenage Nomad.

Maureen I'm so glad you liked it! I think I'm going to get the paperback too; since it was free on Kindle, it's not like I'm buying it twice. My freshmen girls would love it.