Lynsey • The Demon Librarian's Reviews > Body of Sin

5112089
Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: mythology
Read in December, 2011

This was a great ending to the series. It is definitely a series that has to be read in order and if you haven't read books one through three you shouldn't read this review.

Lokan Krayl, the fourth and final brother and youngest son of Sutekh, has been the focal point linking together all three books up until this point. Which is quite an achievement for a dead guy.

Of course, "dead" is a somewhat fluid term when you are talking about immortal demigods. After having been betrayed by his father: Lord of the Underworld, Sutekh, and hacked to pieces and had his soul sent to a null zone, imagine Lokan's surprise when he suddenly finds himself set free and told he simply needs to to pass through the twelve gates of Osiris in order to return to his corporeal form. Something that was made possible due to the efforts of his three siblings in previous instalments. And something that is much harder than it sounds...

The story features flashbacks and present day accounts following Lokan, his brothers and their mates, and the mother of his daughter, Bryn. The way these different scenes were woven together felt very smooth and it really helped you piece together all of the events that you'd already learned a bit about in past stories: How Lokan met Bryn and ended up with a daughter that he kept a secret from everyone, even his siblings. Who and what Bryn is and why she sought out Lokan in the first place. And also, the events leading up to Lokan's "death".

The flashback scenes really helped give you a sense of the personalities of both Lokan and Bryn before everything went to hell, and I really like both of them. And once they are reunited in the present day, this knowledge also helps you appreciate the depth of feeling and respect they have for one another after raising their daughter amicably for the last seven years. Even though the relationship was largely based on lies.

Overall, I really enjoyed this. The mythology was great as always and the romance was touching and sweet. There wasn't a great deal of action considering this was the final showdown, so to speak, but it was still a nice round up of the series and it was great to see how everything turned out for these four brothers and their partners.

Originally Reviewed for Urban Fantasy Book Reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Body of Sin.

12/17/2011
10.0% "Well it certainly starts with a...um...bang!"
12/17/2011
25.0% "Great how the timeline/flashbacks are slowly coming together."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lauren Great review. I loved this series too. I hope she writes one for Bryn's brothers too. They seem very yummy.

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Yeah, they seemed pretty nice, if a little overprotective. I think they learned their lesson there, though. I'd definitely read more from Eve Silver. She has a Dark Gothic series, have you ever read any of those?

Lauren I've heard great things about it but its written in the first person so I've had to give it a pass.

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Ah, I see.

You know when you're browsing for books to buy online, does it usually tell you somewhere which POV it's written in? How do you know what you're getting?

Lauren Before my Kindle and Shelfari/Goodreads days, I often bought books sight unseen only to discover that they were first person. I still give them a try but more often than not give up pretty quickly.
Thanks goodness for Kindle samples and the first sentence option in Shelfari.

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Oh yeah, the first sentence will often let you know the POV. Good thinking!

I don't know how I ever lived without Shelfari, Goodreads or Fictfact.