Cinnamon's Reviews > I'll Be There

I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan

Dec 29, 11

bookshelves: abuse, adventure, brothers, coming-of-age, contemporary, consequences, dating, family-situations, fathers, first-love, friendship, funny-stories, girl-self-perception, mental-illness, relationships, siblings, survival, young-adult
Recommended for: teenage girls, anyone who loves happy endings, anyone who loves romantic comedies
Read from December 28 to 29, 2011, read count: 1

Hands down my favorite book I have read this year!!!!! I loved it so much, I read it all last night.

Sam has had a very tough life. His father kidnapped he and his brother when they were little, running from town to town, surviving by stealing. Sam hasn't been to school since 2nd grade, he has not made any friends, and he has spent most of his time protecting his younger brother from their crazy father. His one great love has been music. This love is what leads him to Emily.
Emily has a great home, great parents, everything. There is something about Sam that she is drawn to. She can't help it; she just has to get closer to him. At first, Sam tries to stay away, but he is just as drawn to her. As they become closer, Sam realizes just how messed up his life has been and just how much he wants to change. But that won't happen if his father has anything to do with it.

I loved the story of Sam and Emily and how they are so drawn together. Riddle is a great character, too. He really blossoms when Sam is threatened. The surprising survival story in the middle was riveting and made it so I couldn't put the book down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Be There.