Mormonhermitmom's Reviews > Grip of the Shadow Plague

Grip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon Mull

May 18, 11

Read in May, 2011

Just when Kendra and Seth thought things would settle down at Fablehaven, a strange malady spreads among the magical creatures. Once benign races start turning aggressive, dark, and dangerous. Even some of their friends are changed into shadowy beings unable to communicate. With the Evening Star society threatening to find artifacts to release a slew of demons, the plague has to be contained, or better yet, cured. Unfortunately, no one has a clue where to start.

I liked this series and I can recommend it for fantasy readers of all ages. The characters are distinctive, consistent, and the human characters have flaws and failings that make them believable. The magical creatures are well thought out. The good ones are endearing and the bad ones are wicked cool. The books have discussion questions in the back that encourage families to discuss universal values and moral dilemmas. I really lucked out. Sometimes if I buy a book before reading it first, I regret it later and not just from buyer's remorse. I didn't have that disappointment here. Give it a shot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grip of the Shadow Plague.