Chelesbells's Reviews > Abandon

Abandon by Meg Cabot

Aug 27, 11

Read from August 24 to 25, 2011

17-year-old Pierce Olivieria is still struggling to get through the day, even though its been 2 years since she died and came back to life. Yeah, that’s right - died. Pierce didn’t see any “white light” though - she saw something entirely different, and that something haunts her every day. Someone is always watching - someone dark, dangerous and handsome. John Hayden is no guardian angel, but he has saved her life twice. Is John really there to protect her, or is he who she needs to be afraid of?

“He let his mouth linger on mine, neither possessively nor sweetly….like his mouth just belonged there on mine”.

I really liked this modernized retelling of Hades and Persephone. Near death experiences are very fascinating - almost as much as Greek Mythology. I like the way the author blends both and the way the events of Pierce’s life and death unfold in each chapter. I love how intriguing and intense John is and how difficult the decision is of whether to run from him or to him.

This is a dark story, but one that is infused with humor. Take for instance this favorite line that had me laughing out loud:

"Honey, some boys stopped by to see you. They had wood.”

Of course, her mom was just letting her know some high school boys had stopped by with a load of wood to work on their project for Coffin Night…. But still…that is priceless Mom speak.

I love Meg Cabot and I enjoyed the way she wrote Abandon. The suspenseful ending has me longing for book 2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abandon.

Quotes Chelesbells Liked

Meg Cabot
“But really, the term “forgive and forget” doesn’t make sense to me. Forgiving does allow us to stop dwelling on an issue, which isn’t always healthy. But if we forget, we don’t learn from our mistakes. And that can be deadly.”
Meg Cabot, Abandon

Meg Cabot
“Honey, some boys stopped by to see you. They had wood.”
Meg Cabot, Abandon

08/25/2011 page 103

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) I've been wanting to try some Meg Cabot and have had this book on my TBR for awhile....definitely going to move this up...maybe audiobook it? Awesome review! This is why we are book soulmates, seriously. :)

Mickey Reed I love Meg Cabot!! I enjoy her adult stuff more, but this one was a good YA book :o)

Chelesbells Jeannette (The Starry-Eyed Revue) wrote: "I've been wanting to try some Meg Cabot and have had this book on my TBR for awhile....definitely going to move this up...maybe audiobook it? Awesome review! This is why we are book soulmates, se..."
I heart you so big...and oooo, I'd love to know what the audio is like. Thanks, love!

Chelesbells Mickey wrote: "I love Meg Cabot!! I enjoy her adult stuff more, but this one was a good YA book :o)"

Agreed! I really liked John ;D

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) Ha...great minds DO think alike. I was working on my IMM post this week, and I realized that I bought it last week at Borders. I've bought so much in the last month or so that I can't keep track of them all! :D

Chelesbells Jeannette (The Starry-Eyed Revue) wrote: "Ha...great minds DO think alike. I was working on my IMM post this week, and I realized that I bought it last week at Borders. I've bought so much in the last month or so that I can't keep track ..." Wow! That's great! Book soul mates FTW.