Michael's Reviews > Physics of the Future: How Science Will Shape Human Destiny and Our Daily Lives by the Year 2100

Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku

May 18, 11

When I was little I had a book about what would happen in the future, and it was one of my favorite things. Heavy on illustrations. I remember that the pictures were of people in floating cars, buildings under water, that sort of thing. Fanciful and mostly just made up, but tons of fun to think about. I am wishing right now I knew where it was. I guess there's no way that book or anyone could have imagined what actually has happened! Much more impressive in many ways. Hell, the internet came out well after I started college.

This is from a much respected physicist. Probably as well-known for hosting documentaries and such as any work he's done. A spokesman for Physics. He's on the Science Channel and Discovery Channel all the time. Even the History Channel. Michio Kaku. A celebrity scientist, very smart guy. Japanese descent, well-spoken, and able to convey the excitement of scientific discovery as well as anyone I've seen. He works at City College in NYC, where I was trying to be a doctor. Ha! Of course whatever particle physics classes he was teaching were waaay over my head. But I met him in the hall a couple of times and said "Hey, love your shows!"

This book is great. He takes the large scale view of many differing technologies. Nanotech, biotech, genetics, computers, energy, robotics, space exploration, and more. And he speculates where these things are going, and often how they will converge. The book is both wildly speculative and well-grounded in current science. Tough to do. It has to be taken with a grain of salt, but Dr Kaku makes a solid case each and every time for where he thinks things are going. I am getting this one for dad.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Physics of the Future.