Jessah's Reviews > Chastened: The Unexpected Story of My Year without Sex

May 18, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Jessah by: Alisa
Read from June 06 to 28, 2011

Hey Mom, you probably don't need to read this. :-)

After having reached the halfway mark in a yearlong journey that seems not-so-different from that of the author, I thought it would be interesting to read about another woman's experience in "taking a year off." The first few chapters scared me a little - Anderson seemed to be in my head, pointing to some of the same flawed theories on relationships between people and between love and sex that had taken me through my twenties as motivation for her vow (and my own not-quite vow).

Aside from being slightly creeped out by some of the similar experiences we've had (which really just made me feel like a huge cliche), I began to really enjoy her writing style, which at first seemed a little overly embellished, but which I quickly found particularly entertaining. I would have enjoyed this book even if I didn't feel any personal connection with the story.

Spoiler alert:
I appreciate the fact that Anderson's journey didn't lead her straight into a long term relationship. The end of her book just reinforced for me what she had gained from her year of chastity, which had not been defined as finding true love, but rather as an opportunity to reflect on her poor habits and make the changes she needed to get back on track with what she wanted out of relationships. That's all I'm hoping for from my own journey, plus a little physical and emotional space to do some long term goal setting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chastened.