Hopenafuture's Reviews > Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream

Radical by David Platt

U_50x66
May 18, 11

Read in May, 2011

David Platt takes a serious look at the cultural trappings of American Christianity. He does not directly address the issue I noticed most when I returned from living overseas, namely, the "entitlement" attitude prevalent even among Christians. However, he does point out that living in opulence is not a biblical value, and those who have much are not somehow more deserving, but that more is expected instead. Any sense of entitlement will disappear if this attitude were adopted, so in a sense he does address this, though indirectly.

One thing I especially appreciate is his challenge to leave our easy chairs and homes and actually go and tell others ourselves. We are not only to give generously and live simply so others may go, but we also need to make an effort to go ourselves.

Platt also encourages those reading the book to read through the Bible as well. The message is biblical (though not the only way to apply the biblical principles, I believe) and he encourages the reader to make sure it is.

There are two things I would have added to what he says. The first is that poverty of the body is not the only poverty to which we can apply our resources. Even some of the most financially well-off countries suffer from spiritual famine. Though money may not be a direct solution to this sort of poverty, investing in those who choose to minister there is a valid choice as well.

Secondly, going to another country is not the only way to go and tell. Some who may have the resources, ability, and even interest in suburban or rural living have chosen to live in an urban area for the purpose of ministry. There is a need in the US, often in our own cities, for people who choose to reach out to those around them.

That said, the call to action, the hard look at the way we allot resources, and the challenge to follow the instructions Jesus gave do not make for easy reading, but for a life challenge.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radical.