Kim's Reviews > An Offer You Can't Refuse

An Offer You Can't Refuse by Jill Mansell

May 19, 2011

Read from May 18 to 19, 2011

I liked this book and yet it made me uncomfortable for a strange and unusual reason. Jill Mansell writes great realistic characters who are honest and likeable. Her supporting characters are just as great and that does not always happen in chick lit, this makes me squirm. I am so used to reading about the cute girly character who is silly and screws everything up and the reader follows along as she stumbles through disaster after disaster only to pull everything together at the end with the help of her also cute and slightly quirky best friend. Mansell's books are not like that and therefore take the notion of chick lit and make it better. It wasn't just Lola in this book who took the bribe to break up with her boyfriend but it was how that was explained in a way that made sense. It was the supporting characters such as her best friends and long lost biological father who personfiy the fact that we are all human and therefore make mistakes and can move on and be forgiven. All of the characters grow a little in the end and seem like real likeable people. Sure the covers are extremely girly but get over it and enjoy the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Offer You Can't Refuse.