Dana's Reviews > The Marbury Lens

The Marbury Lens by Andrew  Smith

Jul 05, 11

bookshelves: horror-scary, sciencefiction-fantasy, ya
Read in July, 2011

Wow. Two Stars? Five Stars? I don't know.

The Marbury Lens reminds me a lot of Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

The Gunslinger

Let me explain: I love Stephen King (The Shining, The Stand, Needful Things, It), yet I didn't really love the Dark Tower Series. The series was just a little too...dark? ...morally ambiguous? ...disturbing? ...meandering?

With that being said...I read all seven books in the series.

Yep. All 7. (Felt like 8.)

I got sucked into Jack's Marbury like I got sucked into Roland's Wasteland.

Sometimes I really wanted to put the book down and walk away from it, but I kept picking it back up again and again. It's that good.

Why couldn't I put it down?
It was fascinating. It was well written. The characters were realistic and likable. It was creative. It was suspenseful.

Why did I want to?
It was dark and disturbing. Kids in danger with no guarantee of a happy ending? Yikes!

Two Stars? Five Stars?

Two Stars: It was dark, without a true knight-in-shining-armor, and that's not usually my thing.

Five Stars: I couldn't walk away from it. It really pulled me in and wouldn't let go. It was well written, imaginative and honest. Even though I don't always like the truly dark, this book was unarguably captivating.

A note to my students: this book is typically labeled YA, yet its content is adult & chilling. Sex, violence, language, human scalp loin cloths... You know if you're ready for it or not.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marbury Lens.