Kelly (TheWellReadRedhead)'s Reviews > Love the One You're With

Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin

Jul 05, 08

bookshelves: chick-lit, fiction
Read in July, 2008

I had both good and bad reactions to this book. Good: it definitely sucked me in. It was hard not to be constantly wondering what choices Ellen would make next. The last 30 pages were impossible to put down. I also though Giffin did a good job of examining love and choice from a variety of angles. A very multi-facted way of viewing the storyline.

Bad: Sometimes Ellen just STRESSED me out. She had great internal dialogue, but the fact that she would never talk to Andy about her feelings was absolutely maddening. Maybe that was supposed to say something about their relationship, but for a reader it was annoying at times. And I felt the ending was just odd--the "compromise" that they came up with was entirely unrealistic. I'm all for the unpredictable ending, but I felt like Giffin was reaching on that one.

Overall, I gave it a 4 because I liked the essential themes of this novel--true tests of love, deciding what it means to be truly committed, etc. I think everyone has gone through feelings of doubt like that at some point in their lives. But I can't say it's better than Giffin's first two novels, because the characters just got to me too much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love the One You're With.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Jennie Cha TOTALLY!!!!
I agree with you, Ellen didn't talked to Andy, and then when she got mad for Andy for taking her away from home, even though he gave her many outs. man I was pissed. lol. But in the end, I liked the book!