Hafsa's Reviews > The Girl in the Tangerine Scarf

The Girl in the Tangerine Scarf by Mohja Kahf

Jun 05, 2007

bookshelves: literature, american-islam
Read in December, 2007

Mohja Kahf is phenomenal. I've read some of her short stories before reading this book and I loved them. Girl in Tangerine Scarf is an excellent debut---the characters were all very real, and thankfully, for once, nuanced. The main characters story totally mirrors mine growing up, leaving home, returning to the "homeland," being shocked at the things that happen in Muslim countries, coming to terms with her American-ness, etc. Her problems with the "fundos" as well as the secular Muslims are real and well-examined through her interactions with people around her. I really loved the part where she returns to Syria, and learns to really "pray" for the first time.

I loved this book because the main character's experiences resonated with me, but I definitely think that it would be a valuable read for those interested in learning more about the American Muslim community--the good and the bad.

I have a feeling there's going to be "to be continued" for this book---I definitely think there should be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Tangerine Scarf.