Mike's Reviews > Empire Of Gold

Empire Of Gold by Andy McDermott

Mar 09, 12

bookshelves: exploding-helicopters, thriller
Read from March 05 to 08, 2012

Andy McDermott continues his series of the adventures of Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase with what is possibly the most emotional book yet in the series. I wasn't expecting for this book to have a moment at the end where the characters had a fight that felt real, but it sure enough does. It's a big spoiler to say why it happens, or what the aftermath is, but it leaves a very big cliff hanger for the next book, even more so than the other at least two cliff hangers that had already been created.

I am still definetly a fan of this series. I've seen several reviews that say that this series isn't good because of one thing or another, that it should be more about the archaeology or some other complaints. I do not feel that way at all. If it stuck to a strictly archaeology based plot the story would end after only a few encounters with bad guys and you wouldn't get nearly as much character development, or as high a body count. There is a very high body count in this book.

For those that want to read about going to an Ancient City and disabling traps, there's a bit of that in here, but there's also a Revolution and a car chase across a road that is being dissolved because of a land slide, so it's not all Traps and Ancient Magic.

I will say that I was a little disappointed that(HUGE SPOILER-ish) the "Ancient Power" that is hinted at on the cover isn't revealed yet. It's a bit annoying, but it's also part of the books third climactic action scene, so I can't really complain too much.

It left me really ready for the next book, which is what a series is supposed to do.

So: The short version:
If you want to read a book about archaeology, go read something else. If you want to read a book where a scorpion is used as an interrogation tool this book is more your speed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire Of Gold.

03/05/2012 page 364
67.0% "I started this over a month ago. It's very good so far."