Dawn's Reviews > Eating Animals

May 20, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, food, vegetarianism
Recommended to Dawn by: Katie
Read from May 17 to 20, 2011

This book made me cry. It made me want to vomit; I had to stop reading a few times after feeling nauseous. I recommend it for people who are trying out vegetarianism. It's been a few weeks for me and I've really been craving a BBQ pulled-pork sandwich. After reading the chapter about the pig farm worker who sliced off a pig's snout and then ground salt brine into it just for fun, I didn't crave a pulled-pork sandwich anymore.

I had always known about how much pollution is involved with animal farming, but reading this reminded me just how bad it is. Here's a fact from the book: "Animal agriculture makes a 40% greater contribution to global warming than ALL transportation in the world combined; it is the number one cause of climate change." As someone who continues to eat fish, the info about fishing was also very disturbing. For example, 145 other species are killed in tuna fishing and thrown out as bycatch. Shrimp trawlers throw out 80% of what they catch as bycatch, most of it dead or dying.

My one criticism of the book is the section "Words - Meaning." It felt disjointed and disconnected at times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eating Animals.

Katie It's all such a harsh, sad reality. I found the pig chapter especially hard to read!