Amanda Gayle Reed's Reviews > Dare to Love Completely

May 17, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, mission, professional-growth
Read from May 17 to 24, 2011

I began this book with a little bit of a negative bias. I assumed it was going to be like so many other mission books, telling an honest story but doing so through the blurred lens of a privileged westerner more than a little out of touch with those she was working with. Janine Roberts, however, tells the story of her time in Zimbabwe from a very realistic perspective and does so with a sensitivity to the disparity between her life position and those she was working with. Only a couple times in her book did I sense her disconnect between the extreme poverty the children of Zimbabwe were forced into and her own life... but the redeeming aspect is that Roberts has not set out to write a book about the causes of poverty in Africa, nor has she attempted to to tackle the political situation at hand in the troubled country. Roberts instead focuses on what can be accomplished when one person steps up to follow the love of Christ and to allow that love to shine through her and through others to touch her. It is a very personal story that I am sure was at times painful to write, but it forces the reader to think about what she can do with her own life if only she dares to love completely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dare to Love Completely.