BCL Teen Librarians's Reviews > In the Shadow of The Pali: A Story of the Hawaiian Leper Colony

In the Shadow of The Pali by Lisa Cindrich

U 50x66
Mar 10, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: american-historical-fiction, world-historical-fiction, survival
Read in March, 2008

Liliha's father is dead. Her uncle turns her in to the Hawaiian authorities as a LEPER -- even though he was the one who forced her to get leprosy. Liliha is abandoned by her mother, her village, and everyone she's ever known... and she's shipped to the leper colony on Molokai, where there is no law. Now Liliha is in a fight for her very life. She must fight not only her fellow prisoners to get the food, but also the growing numbness, infections, and sores in her own flesh. Sometimes even paradise can be your prison.

Wow, this was an action-packed piece of historical fiction! I'd heard of the Hawaiian leper colony, but I didn't realize how brutal and lawless it was. I also didn't realize what leprosy really was. This is a violent, intense book that needs to be read when you feel safe under the covers with cookies and a hot drink.

Read this if you want a page-turner that will have you wondering about what right and wrong really mean when survival is at stake.

--Courtney
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Shadow of The Pali.