Ilze's Reviews > Upon a Wicked Time

Upon a Wicked Time by Karen Ranney

May 20, 2011

bookshelves: karen-ranney
Read from May 17 to 20, 2011

Aside from the beautifully written prologue, the first half (plus a bit) of the book was not very emotionally involving - Jered is a total a$$hole and jerk while Tessa seems terminally dumb for following him around and trying to get under his skin. And most of us know that in real life jerks and a$$holes tend to stay that way, unfortunately ...

But after Tessa is badly injured when she finally decides she's had it with Jered and runs away from him, things turn around and the rest of the book is fabulous. I guess if your wife almost dies because of your stupidity, and then you almost kill yourself and her as well in a silly bit of arrogance on a yacht as a winter storm is approaching, you might take a long hard look at yourself. Which is what Jered does and finally redeems himself.

I could have easily dropped the book at any point in the first part up to the injury and forgotten about it. On the other hand, Jered's dreadful behaviour in the first part of the book is the setup for his change and redemption in the second part, so in that sense I guess it was necessary. And Tessa is a terrific heroine, even when her love for Jered seems to be a lost cause.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Upon a Wicked Time.

05/20/2011 page 228
59.0% "not very emotionally involving, but somewhat interesting up to now. But now that Tessa's life is in danger, things might finally change with Jered. The story finally became *very* interesting."
09/20/2013 marked as: read