Cayleigh's Reviews > A Name of Her Own

Jul 04, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: read-2011
Read from May 17 to June 04, 2011

This is the fictionalized story of a real woman named Marie Dorian who crossed the Rocky Mountains with the Wilson Hunt Astoria expedition of 1811. Her husband was their Native American interpreter. She was full native and her husband a metis, half native half white. This is the imagined story that Kirkpatrick feels could have surrounded Marie in her desire to, at all costs, keep her family of two boys with her husband and not get left behind in St.Louis. I really liked the knowledge that we were reading about a real woman. Even though we can never know the exact events surrounding her passage Krikpatrick has done her homework and there is an annotation at the end of the story that documents what actual facts she has based her book of off.

I really liked the interactions between Marie and her husband and how real their relationship was. I think it was the non-perfected-ness of their marriage that really drives the relationship home. I really love reading novels about Native Americans, I feel there aren’t really that many out there that are not in the Westerns category. (I don’t like those). So even though this book didn’t really have me connect to Marie as I think a writer wants their audience to connect to their characters I will give another of Kirkpatrick’s books a chance to see what happens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Name of Her Own.