Corinne Zilnicki's Reviews > The Incredible Journey

The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford

Sep 23, 2011

Read from September 22 to 23, 2011

The last time I read this story was also the first time I read it - when I was 8 years old. I was a bit obsessed with Homeward Bound (hah, as if anything has changed!) and remember being surprised and disappointed to discover that the book doesn't have dialogue. I liked the story back then, but I love it now.

Three pets - Tao the Siamese cat, Bodger the old English bull terrier, and Luath the strapping young Labrador - embark on an (excuse the obviousness) "incredible journey" after misunderstanding the departure of their temporary caretaker. Their one objective is to get back to their beloved owners, an urge that runs deeper than all other instincts for the trio. The only problem is that home is 300 miles away, and that they must travel through the dangerous wild to get there. They encounter an array of wild animals and other obstacles on their journey, but with the assistance of some good samaritans and by their own strength, they eventually reunite with their loved ones.

This a beautiful, wholesome little story written in a pleasantly old-fashioned style. The animals are not overly anthropomorphised and are characterised logically by breed traits and natural instincts. There is a rawness to the story that is gripping, and a sense of adventure that sweeps the reader right along to a highly touching and emotional ending. Anyone who has ever loved an animal will love this little gem in turn.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Incredible Journey.

09/23/2011 page 145