Angela Simmons's Reviews > The False Friend

The False Friend by Myla Goldberg

May 18, 11

bookshelves: arc, mystery, contemporary-fiction, wasnt-as-good-as-i-would-have-hoped
Read from May 17 to 18, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I had high hopes for this book; unfortunately, I was very disappointed by the time I finished it. The concept was indeed an intriguing one- a group of girls walk home on a forbidden highway, a fight ensues one girl runs into the woods, another girl follows her in, only one comes out, a lie that becomes the truth. While the author could have created this amazing story out of the previous description, I felt that the book was a literary mess, continually circling around a thread without gaining any ground. Almost pointless to read as the issue at hand is never truly addressed and rather than sustaining the plot, she fills the book with one-dimensional characters that offer nothing to the story.

Celia to me came off whiny and the fact that she continuously called her mother ‘mommy’ annoyed me to no end. Then we have the boyfriend, Huck, who not only is a teacher he’s a pothead as well, and apparently Celia has no problem with dating one and he has no problem with getting high at her parents house, even though her brother Jem is a recovering drug-addict. The “friends” offer nothing to novel except that Leeanne is now Lee. Even the missing girl and her mother are annoying.

The characters fell flat and the plot was lost to misguidance. Random things were placed into the novel such as Celia and Huck having phone sex, continuous talk about their dogs, Huck getting high, Jem’s pregnant wife complaining, that in my opinion were just fillers that offered nothing to the story.

For me this book was a poorly composed Lifetime movie where the ending was deleted.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The False Friend.

05/17/2011 page 63
show 3 hidden updates…

Marie Oh, yes, the mommy thing! Didn't get to that in my review, but yeah, that fet very odd, especially for the character Celia seemed intended as.

Hayley DeRoche Everything about the book irritated me, but the mommy and daddy thing was by far the worst.

Ladonna I couldnt agree more. I'm listening to this book on CD and I can tell its going nowhere. The author is concentrating too much on flowery language and small details and not enough on story line.