Steph 's Reviews > Wildefire

Wildefire by Karsten Knight

Jun 02, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-dac, the-good-stuff, read-in-2011, owned
Read from May 20 to 25, 2011

Out of all the recent books dealing with gods and goddesses, Wildefire is definitely my favorite. For starters, this book stands out for me solely on the basis that our main character, Ashline Wilde, is a reincarnation of an ancient Polynesian goddess. Thumbs up for diversity! The rest of the pantheon is diverse as well, each of their backgrounds being very different from the other. This diversity didn't feel - for a lack of a better word - forced either. The characters had their backgrounds and that was that. They just were.

With every book that has a large cast there's a worry that they will all sort of blend together, but each character here had their own distinct and individual personality. I did grow more attached to a few over the others -- Ashline being my favorite with her fierceness -- but I loved diving into all of their histories and getting a glimpse of their abilities.

There is quite a bit of violence and language in the book, but I thought it was a perfect fit for these deities. The language seemed to flow naturally from the characters and, while the violence might seem excessive to some, I felt that their behavior and actions were more realistic than some of the more subdued gods and goddesses that I've encountered in other YA novels. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the different interpretations in various books, but I loved that Karsten Knight's characters had a bit more BANG! and edge to them.

If you're looking for a heavy focus on a romance, this is not the book for you. Sure, Colt is a cool and likable character, and the moments between him and Ashline were pretty sweet, but any romantic aspects definitely took the backseat to everything else going on in the story. I'm a sucker for a good romance as much as the next person but, believe me, it was the last thing I was worrying about when I was reading this book.

If I had to describe Wildefire in one word it would be 'intense' -- the fast pace kept me on the edge of my seat. It also made my brain explode from the awesome. And then it exploded some more after doing some "research" following the conclusion. Uh...yeah...I'll definitely be needing that second book ASAP. Karsten Knight has set up a thrilling introduction with his debut and I cannot wait to see what he has in store for us!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wildefire.

05/21/2011 page 45
11.45% "Bluefire Reader keeps being a paiiiiin, but this is super interesting so far."
05/21/2011 page 45
05/25/2011 page 295
75.0% "Going to try to finish this one tonight."
show 3 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Laura I was taking a break from this one but you make me want to go back! Were you as confused as I was with the prologue? I just kept thinking 'omg! what is happening here!'

Steph Laura (All of Everything) wrote: "I was taking a break from this one but you make me want to go back! Were you as confused as I was with the prologue? I just kept thinking 'omg! what is happening here!'"

Oh definitely! Karsten Knight really throws us right into the action with that start and it took me a bit to feel caught up. I think it's definitely worth a read, though. I hope you get back to it soon -- and enjoy it! :)