Mrs. Badass's Reviews > Blood Rights

Blood Rights by Kristen Painter

Oct 01, 11

bookshelves: historicals, kindle, maybe-reads, not-released-yet, oct-2011, paranormal, vampires, awesome-covers
Read from August 24 to September 18, 2011

Erika’s Review

One of the things I like most about Author Kristen Painter, is the way she writes. It’s rather hard to describe. It’s soft and sensual, it flows nicely and leaves the reader with a nice feeling. Dark Kiss of the Reaper was my first Kristen Painter book, and I think Blood Rights is an interesting take on Vampires and Shifters, Curses and Blood Slaves.

Grade: B-/C+

First, let me kick off this review by saying that Blood Rights has one of the most gorgeous covers of the year. Seriously. Kristen Painter, your cover artists for your novels are outstanding. It’s fantastic.

Now, here we go.

The first half or so of Blood Rights suffered from pacing issues. It was slow, confusing and hard to get into. I hate to say it, but it’s the truth. At least for me. I put this book down in favor of other books more than once. The problem for me was that we are thrown into this world and were expected to understand all the terms. It took me a good 30% on my kindle to figure out what all the terms meant. Once I was invested though, I plowed right through till the end.

However, the second half of the book more than made up for it. The grade for the first half would be 2 stars, and the second half would be 4 stars. I think with a little bit more editing, and a few changes here and there to help the pacing even out, the book would have been outstanding. As it is, it’s a good book.

There are some major twists and turns that the reader probably won’t see coming. One, I saw, the other four or five twists? Didn’t see them coming at all. There are some deaths, and I was sad. I wish the deaths had been captured a little bit more. I would have liked (Ok, well not liked, because death sucks) but I I would have liked to have been at the funerals at the end.

Chrysabelle was pretty cool. I can’t wait to learn more about where Kristen Painter is taking her and the other Comarre.

Malcolm and his storyline are heartbreaking and compelling. Again, I can’t wait to read more.

The secondary characters are all interesting.

I didn’t like the Point of View of the “Villain” Tatiana. It detracted me from the overall storyline. I would have just liked to have seen the villain at the end–being all villainous :P

The House of Comarre is a trilogy, and at the end of Blood Rights we are sort of left hanging on where Mal and Chrysabelle are. They both have some pretty major obstacles to overcome. The sexual tension zings between them throughout Blood Rights, but there is no smexing. There are two kisses. That’s it. What does it say about me that I’m sad there is no smexing?

Thankfully, the wait for the second novel Flesh and Blood, is not long. It’ comes out October 25, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Rights.

09/08/2011
25.0% "getting so good!!" 1 comment
09/17/2011
35.0% "that head honcho fallen dude is a bad mamajamma"
09/17/2011
50.0% "I love Kristens writing style"
09/17/2011
62.0% "Mal, be nice for growls sake"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AH (new) - added it

AH Great review! I'll have to try this book soon.