Stacy's Reviews > The Red Notebook

4208115
May 17, 11

bookshelves: 2011, eng, on-writing
Read in May, 2011

To tell the truth, I have never hear about Paul Auster before I picked up this book. What draw my attention was word "writing" (it was something like - essays on writing). To consider this point - I have not found here anything on this theme.
The book starts with "The Red Notebook" which are short essays (or should I call it one essay?). Or are these short stories? I really don't know how to call them. They are like fragments of life (real life as cover declines) but really hard to connect together and without any common motive (subjectively, of course).
The it comes part of French poetry and its influence on English literature. I honestly started to read it. But after some 7-10 pages understood that most probably I don't need it as I don't know any of the writers mentioned (all right, all right, I knew any fifth of them). So this part was just turned over. Suppose for the experts it could mean a lot.
The next part were interviews. Here came the question - why should I read it if I really do not have any previous impression of the author?
And the last part - Why write? Really - I hoped to find here any answer. And I DID NOT. Again short stories. Not connected. In particular view - interesting, together - what is in common?
Even having read only the half of it, I dare mark it as read instead of couldn't finish. It is interesting for people with specific background, or better to say - with necessary background to understand this book and find something useful in it, something that is going to correspond reader's previous experience.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Notebook.

Pete Heinzelmann What part are you talking about re: French poetry and its influence on English literature? There's nothing like that in this book.