Emily's Reviews > Into the Wild

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

Jun 05, 2007

Read in July, 2006

The interesting thing about this book is that people under a certain age seem to think of it as some sort of manifesto for disaffected kids who want to remove themselves from society. For those who are a few years older (or perhaps a tad less angsty and a tad less male), it's a story that raises all sorts of questions about society and adolescence and masculinity. I think it's a much better story if you read it that way.
I did find myself relating to the wandering protagonist of this book- I picked it up in a used bookshop in Prague, and devoured it while flying solo between European countries. I wasn't removed from society, of course, quite the contrary. But I was definitely feeling the leave-everything-behind-and-wander vibe, even if I wasn't trying to shoot any moose. on the other hand, I got annoyed at Alex for so heartlessly cutting off his family.
I suppose that really, it's hard to understand this book unless you have some wanderlust and love for solitude in you. Overall, it's a complex and fascinating story, not to mention tragic. I think Jon Krakauer's own thoughts about his own parallel experiences make it all the more interesting. Alex isn't around to talk about himself, but he got a really excellent writer to do it for him. not bad.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Wild.