Mark's Reviews > The Rise of the Iron Moon

The Rise of the Iron Moon by Stephen Hunt

M 50x66
May 17, 11

I love the concept of steampunk, but until the last year or so the only exposure I had to it was in movies such as Howl's Moving Castle and Hellboy II. To my chagrin, the first few books I read or attempted to read in this genre were poorly written, being filled with clunky dialogue and convoluted plots. I have so far read some decent steampunk novels, but nothing that I thought was exceptional or even worth a review. Indeed, thus far, I had found no steampunk Shakespeare.

This book has everything I like in a good novel: well-written prose, interesting and well-developed characters, a compelling pace and plot, and excellent dialogue. Even if you find this book confusing or the plot a bit far-fetched-, this book is a page turner. Just when you think the heroes have finally gotten the upper hand, things go wrong for them and you just want to read more to see how they get themselves out of an dire situation.

Unlike other steampunk writers, Stephen Hunt an author whose books I will pick up whenever they come out. So is he a steampunk Shakespeare? Well, he's the best I've found so far, so for the moment, yes.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise of the Iron Moon.