Lori's Reviews > The Third Policeman

The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien

May 21, 08

bookshelves: fiction, lost-lit
Read in May, 2008

Before I begin, let me warn you.
***DO NOT READ THE INTRODUCTION UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE READ THE NOVEL** I made the mistake of reading the intro first, and that intro contains a spoiler. It gave away the entire premise of the novel. So I feel like I was gyped a bit here.

That being said, even tho I read the novel knowing the outcome, it didnt ruin the story for me at all.

TTP is hung up on de Selby (who is this dude?) some of his theories. Here are a few that really interested me: He felt that roads have a distinct direction they travel in. And you can feel if you are traveling them in the correct direction. Also, he believes that when you look in a mirror, you see a younger version of yourself. and if you take two mirrors and face them into themselves, where they reflect endless reflections, you will be able to see youself grow younger and younger thru each reflection. These are not touched very much in the novel, but were unique enough in and of themselves that I felt I would mention them.

And then there is the whole sharing atoms thing.This is a point of focus throughout the novel: If you ride a bicycle too often, pcs of the bike get passed into you, and you into it. Thus making a bike act humanish and a human act bikeish, until there is no way to tell the difference between the two. Same goes for the road. If you walk too much, you loose pcs of yourself to the road, and the road comes into you..... Still with me?

Overall, the book grips the reader and refuses to let go. It is creepy, confusing, and a touch haunting. I may have to pick up more from this author if they are written anything like this one!
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Third Policeman.

Lori Seth. I take it you really liked this novel?

Lori it was quite twisted. I really liked two parts of it... how people meshed with thier bicycles when they rode them too long, and the bikes meshed with them. And I liked the idea that you could travel a road in the wrong direction, against the direction it was traveling. Those were interesting concepts to me.

message 3: by David (new) - added it

David I had the same experience with the intro. It's crazy to give away the book in the into--kind of ruined it for me. I'm only part way in, but will push through anyway. Wish I had seen your post earlier.

Robert Kroese De Selby is a completely fictional philosopher. His ideas are supposed to be ridiculous.

Rebecca i agree about not reading the intro first. it did "spoil" the book a little, but still liked it!

Jason L That intro was Grade-A bullshit.