Jane G Meyer's Reviews > Anything But Typical

Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin

Mar 11, 2015

bookshelves: middlegrade, autism
Read in May, 2011 , read count: 2

A poignant view into the world of an autistic pre-teen boy. A story told directly from the eyes and heart of Jason, who describes to the reader beautifully some of his everyday challenges--both those that are unique to him and those common to any child his age. This would be a great addition to any school booklist, providing a needed glimpse into the world of autism that seems to be more and more common around us. The reading level is easy and the pages turn quickly.

My only negative critique is that there is a lack of joy in Jason's outlook. I understand that he struggles daily, and with things that are difficult for a "normal" person to relate to, but the autistic people I know (several kids and three adults, all versions of high functioning, like Jason) have found different themes in their lives that bring them real happiness and joy. A joy almost bigger and more profound than what a "normal" person could experience. I was looking for that, wanting a glimpse of that in Jason's writing, or in his relationship with his brother (which was very sweet), or in one of his senses, sight, or feel, or taste, or in a subject that he adores (math, or music, or putting things in order) that we wouldn't typically understand.

Anyway, the book was marvelous and I commend the author for taking the risk to dive into a world different than her own. Well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anything But Typical.