Joy's Reviews > An Expose on Teen Sex and Dating: What's Really Going On and How to Talk About It

An Expose on Teen Sex and Dating by Andy Braner

May 17, 11

bookshelves: religion, sociology-psychology
Read in May, 2011

Book by a youth pastor about trends in sexual promiscuity among today's teens and what can be done about it. I didn't focus so much on data as I had hoped, but it did seem to be a realistic approach to talking to kids about approaching sex and relationships as whole people--without relying overmuch on ineffective abstinence education and purity rallies, which the author realizes are ineffective. Nor does he resort to abandoning the idea of dating altogether in favor of things like "courting" or arranged marriages--dating provides young people an opportunity to learn and grow and relate to each other, and yes, even learn to fail--far before they are ready to be married. I was sort of surprised at the author's comparison of parents' supposed rosy past with "what teens are doing today"--most of the things he discussed went on when I was in high school/college (even some of the technology based things, I know because I was a nerd) and I am not particularly young. Also there were some stereotypes about gender roles and homosexuality in the book which bugged me, even though I sensed the author to be compassionate. I think a lot of parents (Christian and non) would find this helpful, just as a way to get perspective and ideas about talking to their teens about sex and relationships.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Expose on Teen Sex and Dating.