Erin's Reviews > The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry

The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson

Jul 06, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction, science
Read from June 23 to July 05, 2011

I loved this book. Jon Ronson has a bit of a rambling narrative style, but in this case, it was thoroughly enjoyable. From the beginning chapter about the mystery of the book "On Being and Nothingness" to his experiences using the Robert Hare checklist, to his research on the DSM, it was all deeply fascinating. He also had some great resources quoted in the book, which has inspired me to read the works of doctors Robert Hare and David Rosenhan. It also inspired me to start reading "The Scociopath Next Door" which is a little heavier on the science and self-preservation aspects of identifying Sociopaths/Psychopaths (the terms tend to be used interchangably), but also works as a great companion piece to Ronson's lighter romp through psychiatry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Psychopath Test.

06/23/2011 page 35
12.0% "The story of the book received by neurologists was so fascinating that I could hardly believe it really happened and that it wasn't a fictional device. I haven't been able to put this book down."
06/24/2011 page 62
22.0% "The story of Tony in Broadmoore is fascinating and really illustrates how difficult it can be to spot a psychopath."
06/29/2011 page 201
70.0% "Thanks to Ron Jonson, I can't stop thinking about psychopaths. psychopaths! psychopaths! pyschopaths!"
06/29/2011 page 201
70.0% "Thanks to Jon Ronson, I can't stop thinking about psychopaths. Psychopaths! Psychopaths! Psychopaths!"
07/05/2011 page 240
83.0% "The story about Rosenhan's psuedo-psychiatric patients test of psychiatric hospitals was so fascinating that it has spurred me to look up Rosenhan's "Science" article "On Being Sane in Insane Places". Great stuff!"
show 2 hidden updates…