Sian's Reviews > The Lies of Locke Lamora

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

May 16, 11

I enjoyed this book, to an extent. I enjoyed the cleverness of it all, and the witty characters, and the unexpected solutions to frightening problems.

But two things held me back. While I enjoyed reading about the boys' pasts, the flashbacks were often oddly-placed and way too lengthy. Once or twice I skipped to the end of a flashback just to get the gist of it.

The other distracting factor was the remarkably graphic violence. I've learnt to accept violence in many fantasy books - it is a part of life and mostly unavoidable. But the way it's written about in this story borders on gratuitousness.

(slight spoiler)

I'm sure there are ways to portray the violent ruthlessness of a mob boss without the scene involving glass and a hessian sack. I can't get that scene out of my head, and I really wish I could.

But then again, I also avoid gangster/mafia stories for the same reason.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lies of Locke Lamora.

Quotes Sian Liked

Scott Lynch
“When you don't know everything that you could know, it's a fine time to shut your fucking noisemaker and be polite.”
Scott Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora

Scott Lynch
“So that makes us robbers of robbers," said Bug, "who pretend to be robbers working for a robber of other robbers.”
Scott Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora