Tfitoby's Reviews > Foundation and Earth

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi, favourites
Read from March 28 to 30, 2012

The End.

This 15 book sequence is missing only those two words. This is later Asimov and you can tell, he really learned how to tell a story by this point. I loved this book, it was easily my favourite of the Foundation books and right up there with the best Lije Baley/R.Daneel Olivaw books.

The excitement of the adventure in this one really captivated me, the journey for Earth something that has been hinted at repeatedly from the early Empire trilogy right through to Trevize and Pelorat finally taking the journey in this final book. And boy was it worth it, I don't think I've ever read 510 pages in so short a space of time, I was enjoying myself so much.

I have problems with some of the wishy washy concepts banded about in this one BUT I can't argue with the way Asimov explains them or tells their story; the constant bickering of Bliss and Trevize could esily have become irritating for example but the way they're presented here is nothing but entertaining.

I find myself conflicted having now finished the sequence, I am relieved it's over allowing me to finally fully contemplate the vast scope of the journey from Susan Calvin to Galaxia and appreciate exactly what was achieved by Asimov in linking all the different stories together but I also find myself sad that there is no more to come, not Foundation and Galaxia for example or Galaxia and Andromeda even. I can however console myself with the fact that of all my favourite authors Dr Asimov was one of the most prolific in terms of fiction (second only to Georges Simenon) and there's still plenty more to read.

I highly recommend reading these books in the suggested reading order provided by Asimov, the overall effect is extremely rewarding.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foundation and Earth.

03/28/2012 page 61