Marcelo's Reviews > The Lair of Bones

The Lair of Bones by David Farland

May 16, 2011

Recommended for: Fans of epic fantasy.
Read from May 16 to 23, 2011 , read count: 1

Every epic should end like this. A story of hardship and overcoming unsurmountable odds without cheap deus ex machina solutions. This book ends the first series of the Runelords in a fitting way: with great accomplishments over an undertone of sadness, of works yet incomplete and of more tales to come. The world, after all, moves on.

David Farland (a.k.a. Dave Wolverton) is truly the wizard of storytelling. His narrative is almost flawless, his characters, tridimensional and human, and the world he creates around them feel unique, yet recognizable. I'd love to keep on reading to this story, but all good things must come to an end.

I know the Runelords series has another 4-book arc, picking up nine years after this one, but it's another tale. This one here is finished—and what an epic tale it was!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lair of Bones.

05/16/2011
30.0% "This book reminds me of the experience I've had with Exile, the second novel of The Dark Elf trilogy, by R. A. Salvatore — lonely heroes capable of uncanny feats lost in a deep, vast complex of caves and tunnels, inhabited by wondrous monsters. So far, I love this."
05/17/2011
45.0% "This story is getting better and better. Nothing unfolds as I'd expect!"
05/18/2011
50.0% "I think there's a reference to The Wheel of Time series when a couple of characters enter the realm of Inkarra, but it could just be coincidence."
05/22/2011
100.0% "A good ending for a long, weary, and very rewarding story."