Julie's Reviews > Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most

Difficult Conversations by Douglas Stone

May 16, 2011

liked it
Read in May, 2011

This book came home with the Mister after an employee training seminar. The Senate doesn't do much employee enrichment, but they did do a seminar based on this book, so it must be highly regarded. I was interested in it because I once considered negotiation and conflict processing as a possible area of academic interest.

The book does a great job of providing guidance about what to do with feelings and emotions in conflict. It's great for someone trying to figure out why they feel strongly about one thing or another. For me, it was good advice for dealing with personal conflicts, but I don't think it would affect the way I deal with colleagues and cohorts. After years of working in software and consulting, I know that work relationships of this type are best kept on a professional level where feelings and emotions are not part of the equation.

The best part of this book is its description of what the "other guy" might be thinking. It's always good to walk a mile in someone else's shoes when deciding how to react to a conflict. In all, it was an informative book, but it got a little too therapy-ish in the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Difficult Conversations.