kingshearte's Reviews > The Bourne Identity

The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum

May 21, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fiction, fluff
Read from May 17 to 21, 2011

As thrillers go, this wasn't too bad, once it got going properly. I found that although it started well, the first almost half of it kind of felt like it just went in circles, covering the same territory and not really revealing any new information. About halfway through, it started moving forward again, and then it was fine. Definitely twisty, although not always unpredictably. And pretty action-packed, although Ludlum is no Jeff Somers when it comes to describing those sequences. No one I've read is, though.

Also, Jason Bourne is quite the bad-ass. You know the state that John McClane ends up in at the end of every Die Hard movie? Filthy, exhausted, bloody as hell, and injured to the point that no human could possibly still remain standing? Well, our hero in this book ends up that way and recovers from it twice in the first few hundred pages. Good heavens.

And speaking of over the top, the love story was a bit ham-fisted. One day of being threatened with death by this man, followed by being rescued by him, and all of a sudden you're completely soulmate in love with him? And he with you? When he barely knows you and you sure as hell don't know him, as he doesn't even know him. I don't object to them hooking up or anything; I just thought it was a bit over the top. Too much too soon.

Also, if he weren't dead, I would kind of want to find Mr. Ludlum and smack him for one single word choice. A woman who has just been raped is absolutely not going to, the very next day, describe some economic situation concerning her country as a rape of said country. She's just not. It was one single word, but it bothered the hell out of me. Not cool, Ludlum.

In any case, it was what it was, but I can't say that I feel any particular need to read any of the further adventures of Mr. Bourne.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bourne Identity.