Michael's Reviews > Eragon

Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Apr 02, 08

bookshelves: books-so-bad-i-want-to-burn-them

We usually encourage children to read with the hope that it will stimulate their minds. We ultimatly hope that this will result in higher intelligence. I grew up with this idea, and have read ever since I was a kid with the utmost assurance that all my reading was helping me get ahead. Not until I encountered Eregon did I realize that reading isn't always good for kids. I honestly felt dumberer with every chapter, every page, every paragraph. This book is a hazy blurr with a plot that is completely ripped off of Star Wars. I finally lost my patience with it after I spent one hundred pages teaching young Eregon how to read when we didn't get any useful information from the process. After that long and boring episode we were left in exact same perdicament of guessing where the bad guys might be. So, for the sake of your kid's intelligence, don't let them read this book.
Oh, and I don't want to hear any more about his being fifteen, as if we should cut him some slack for that. I wrote stuff when I was fifteen, too, and this book didn't deserve to be published any more than that crap did.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eragon.