Laura's Reviews > Follow the River

Follow the River by James Alexander Thom

Mar 18, 08

Read in March, 2008

I wish I had been warned about the first chapter. As a mother with children about the same age as Mary's, it was one of the most difficult things to read. I give this book four stars, because page after page of hunger, cold, and physical pain, became a bit tedious, so I skimmed through the last part. I wish that the author had spent more time on her adjustment back into her community and with her husband. Mary's story is remarkable, however, and definitely worth reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Follow the River.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julie I can't wait for you to read this Laura. The things the main character went through were unbelieveable! I'm anxious to see how you liked it.

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Westcott It has been about 10 years since I read this book, but I remember well my feelings of disgust toward the author. It seemed like an historical fiction excuse for a romance novel. Don't read on if you are dying to read this book.

It starts out in horror with an unforgettable graphic scene killing mothers, children, and unborn infants. The main character's lust for the Indian captor was annoying and happens too soon after the horrific opening scene. Her shallow feelings of leaving her sons to be raised as Indians annoyed me.

But mostly, the ending was ludicrous. She is emaciated from starvation and near death from an arduous journey that brought her to thoughts of cannibalism, but the very first thing she wants to do when she comes home is make love to her husband! Yeah, right! Definitely written by a man!

Steffanie Anderson Just finished this and feel exactly as you did about it getting a bit too tedious in the "suffering" pages. I too, would like to have read more about her life afterwards.

Betsy McCullen The suffering and struggle really got to me. I felt exhausted and unsettled after reading some parts, especially toward the very end of her journey. The part about the horse is one I wished someone had warned me about! I would have gladly skipped that too!!