Rachel Smalter Hall's Reviews > Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey

May 16, 11

bookshelves: american, feminist, hilarity, memoirs-and-bios, audio
Read from May 08 to 14, 2011

Oh my god: I think this is the first bestseller I've ever read while it was still a bestseller!!! I feel like I've been initiated into this sacred cult... of everyone-else.

So I've been a Tina Fey admirer for a few years now: not necessarily because of Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock, or even Mean Girls, but because she's a kick ass woman at the top of her field in a male-dominated career. I get kind of excited by that feminist stuff. But what I loved best about Bossypants is not just that's its true to Tina's ideals of "gender meritocracy"... but that it's REALLY REALLY FUNNY!

You know, now that I think of it, a lot of Bossypants is about classically "female" issues: schoolgirl crushes, honeymoons and marriage, body image, being a working mom. I think part of Tina's genius is her novel realization that, hey! 49% of the world's population is female, and there might just be something funny in that. She's created this persona of the smart, over-achieving white girl from the suburbs, and then described that world via expertly honed zingers that hit home for all those ladies like me who've probably felt underrepresented in the comedy landscape.

And sure ~ like most great comics, Tina can get a little weird and annoying and offensive sometimes. but I think this works for her because, just like great guy comics, she's not afraid to take risks and stick her neck way out there, unapologetically. She's ambitious, and strong, and somehow (e.g. hard work, brilliance, and an iron will...) it all comes together.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bossypants.