Sarah's Reviews > Rescue

Rescue by Anita Shreve

May 16, 2011

liked it
Read from May 16 to 17, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Although Webster was a rather thought out and well illustrated character, Shreve failed to bring that same life to Shelia and most of all, Rowan.

My issues with the book:

1. I was unable to see the strong attraction Webster had to Shelia. He's drawn as completely captivated and love sick for her...for years.

2. Rowan. What we know: A good girl with great grades. A good girl best friend. A nice guy boyfriend. Suddenly, her grades drop, she starts to lie and drink. Why? We never truly find out. There is mention of her not getting into the school she wanted but we never learn what made her start to rebel. With positive people all around her, it made it seem more unrealistic.

3. I would have let Shelia go to jail. Plain and simple.

4. I never believed that Shelia ever loved Webster...this was proven when she found a new guy so quickly (and stayed with him) after leaving her family. The idea that they were going to get back together? Blah.

5. The emergency scenes were very detailed and not all that necessary. I understand a few examples of his job but it began to feel like an opportunity for Shreve to show off a bunch of medical terms that she learned.

Overall, disappointing book but I did keep picking it up to finish so that's at least something.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rescue.