Laura de Leon's Reviews > The Last Unicorn

The Last Unicorn by Peter B. Gillis

2013736
May 30, 2011

bookshelves: graphic-novel, netgalley, sf-fantasy, review-copy, blogged
Read from May 16 to 28, 2011

5 stars for a gorgeous production.

4 stars for the (necessary) compression of the story to fit the medium.

4.5 stars overall.

The Last Unicorn has been one of my favorite books for many years, and I loved the movie. I was quite excited to hear about the graphic novel, even if that isn't a form that I normally read.

It's hard for me to review this objectively, since I really wanted to like it, and I don't have a good sense of the norms for the genre. Given that:

It is really gorgeous. I can just sit and look at it, and look forward to doing so in the future.

The visuals match the characters and the story. It's a different approach than the movie, and that's fine. Nothing pulls me away from the story I remember.

The story also matches the plot as I remember it (it's been a while, so small differences would go unnoticed, and I don't think they'd be an issue anyway).

Even the words are ones I remember from the original in places! There is some gorgeous writing in the book.

The problem (with this review, not the book)?

I remember the book/movie well enough that I'd fill in any gaps, if there were any. I don't know if it is too abridged to make sense, or to connect properly with the characters. I think it was all there, but I can't say that with assurance.

My review copy was electronic, and I can't wait to get a physical copy, simply to have one to hold in my hands and admire!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Unicorn.

05/16/2011 page 38
25.0% "This is gorgeous! I love the original book, and I'm enjoying this adaptation as well."